- Functions of water in the body
- Diverticulosis and diverticulitis
- Cuts of beef
- Food label
- see all
- Anatomy of a whole grain
- Reading food labels
- Recipe makeover: Morning glory muffins
- Pyramid or plate? Explore these healthy diet options
- Video: Honey crusted chicken
- Video: Pineapple chicken stir-fry
- Video: Hearty turkey chili
- Video: Apple berry cobbler
- see all
- Slide show: Your guide to spices
- Slide show: Guide to beans and legumes
- Slide show: Guide to portion control for weight loss
- Slide show: Guide to a high-fiber diet
- see all
Slide show: The Mediterranean dietBy Mayo Clinic staff
Benefits of the Mediterranean diet
People who follow the Mediterranean diet have a longer life expectancy and lower rates of chronic diseases compared with other adults. Indeed, the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans point to the Mediterranean diet as an example of a healthy-eating plan.
The Mediterranean diet emphasizes plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts. It replaces butter with healthy fats, such as olive oil and canola oil, and uses herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods. Red meat is limited to no more than a few times a month, while fish should be on the menu twice a week.
The Mediterranean diet is also about enjoying delicious foods — as you'll see in this guide.Next slide
- Traditional diet pyramids. Oldways Preservation Trust. http://www.oldwayspt.org/pyramids.html. Accessed March 21, 2011.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-PolicyDocument.htm. Accessed March 21, 2011.
- Seven-day Mediterranean menu. Oldways Preservation Trust. http://www.oldwayspt.org/sites/all/files/7dayAUTUMNFINAL.pdf. Accessed March 21, 2011.
- Mediterranean diet tips for everyone. Oldways Preservation Trust. http://www.oldwayspt.org/mediterranean-diet/med-diet-resources. Accessed March 21, 2011.
- The power of $2: Easy and affordable Mediterranean recipes. Oldways Preservation Trust. https://www.oldwayspt.org/sites/all/files/Powerof2_Apr14.pdf. Accessed March 21, 2011.
- Med diet 101. Oldways Preservation Trust. https://www.oldwayspt.org/sites/all/files/MedDiet101.pdf. Accessed March 21, 2011.
- Nelson JK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 21, 2011.
- Recipe: Grapes and walnuts with lemon sour cream sauce. MayoClinic.com. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/NU00426. Accessed May 25, 2011.