- Video: Melanoma — Early stage and advanced melanoma
- Video: Skin cancer — How skin cancer develops
- Slide show: Melanoma pictures to help identify skin cancer
Slide show: Melanoma pictures to help identify skin cancerBy Mayo Clinic staff
Melanoma pictures for self-examination
Melanoma — a serious form of skin cancer — is often curable if you find it early. These melanoma pictures can help you determine what to look for.
The American Academy of Dermatology advises that you watch skin spots for these features:
- Border irregularity
- Color changes
- Diameter greater than 1/4 inch (about 6 millimeters)
Follow this ABCDE guide to determine if an unusual mole or suspicious spot on your skin may be melanoma.Next slide
- Melanoma: Signs and symptoms. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/skin-conditions/dermatology-a-to-z/melanoma/signs-symptoms/melanoma-signs-and-symptoms. Accessed Nov. 8, 2012.
- Abbasi NR, et al. Early diagnosis of cutaneous melanoma: Revisiting the ABCD criteria. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2004; 292:2771.