Nutrition basics (20)
- Dietary fiber: Essential for a healthy diet
- Artificial sweeteners and other sugar substitutes
- Added sugar: Don't get sabotaged by sweeteners
- see all in Nutrition basics
Healthy diets (12)
- DASH diet: Tips for dining out
- DASH diet: Tips for shopping and cooking
- DASH diet: Healthy eating to lower your blood pressure
- see all in Healthy diets
Healthy cooking (14)
- Healthy chicken recipes
- Meatless meals: The benefits of eating less meat
- Healthy cooking for 1 or 2
- see all in Healthy cooking
Healthy menus and shopping strategies (13)
- Free range and other meat and poultry terms
- Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid: A sample menu
- Healthy breakfast: Quick, flexible options to grab at home
- see all in Healthy menus and shopping strategies
Nutritional supplements (3)
- Herbal supplements: What to know before you buy
- Calcium and calcium supplements: Achieving the right balance
- Supplements: Nutrition in a pill?
Menu planning: Eat healthier and spend less
Get into the menu-planning routine
Like any new habit, menu planning gets easier with practice. Over time, you'll figure out ways to make the process work for you. In the meantime, here are some tips and tricks from seasoned menu planners:
- Give each day a theme. Don't start from scratch every week. Establish theme days. For example, designate Mondays as pasta nights and Thursdays as chicken nights. Plan to try new recipes on Saturdays and polish off leftovers on Sundays.
- Recycle your menus. Don't throw away your menu plan at the end of the week. Instead, hold on to it and reuse it later.
- Be flexible. Your menu isn't written in stone. Feel free to swap things around. Or designate one night as "cook's choice" and use that night to clear out the refrigerator by making a casserole, stir-fry or other mix-and-match meal.
Bask in the glory
Take a moment to feel good knowing that menu planning is making it easier for you to eat a healthy diet. And give yourself an extra pat on the back for saving money while you're at it!Previous page
(2 of 2)
- Nelson JK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 27, 2011.
- Zeratsky KA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 27, 2011.
- Menu planning tips. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.fns.usda.gov/eatsmartplayhardhealthylifestyle/Tools/menuplanningtable.htm. Accessed July 27, 2011.
- Sample menus. U.S. Department of Agriculture. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/downloads/Sample_Menus-2000Cals-DG2010.pdf. Accessed July 27, 2011.
- My Plate. U.S. Department of Agriculture. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/index.html. Accessed July 27, 2011.
- Ten tips for eating right affordably. American Dietetic Association. http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=5493. Accessed July 27, 2011.