ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
People who have migraine with aura are at a slightly higher risk of stroke. Women who have migraine with aura appear to have an even higher risk of stroke if they smoke or take birth control pills.
- Aminoff MJ, et al. Clinical Neurology. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=66. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- Headache: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/headache/detail_headache.htm?css=print. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- Stone K, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Emergency Medicine. 7th ed. New York, NY: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=55749542. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- Hauge AW, et al. Trigger factors in migraine with aura. Cephalalgia. 2010;30:346.
- Marnura MJ. Use of dopamine antagonists in treatment of migraine. Current Treatment Options in Neurology. 2012;14:27.
- Salhofer-Polanyi S, et al. Prospective analysis of factors related to migraine aura — the PAMINA study. Headache. 2012;52:1236.
- Botox gets nod for migraine. PubMed Health. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/behindtheheadlines/news/2012-05-11-botox-gets-nod-for-migraine/. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- Headache hygiene tips. American Headache Society Committee for Headache Education. http://www.achenet.org/resources/trigger_avoidance_information/. Accessed April 17, 2013.