Lifestyle and home remediesBy Mayo Clinic staff
The following tips may help you keep multiple myeloma under control:
- Stay active. Exercise helps keep your bones stronger. If pain keeps you from being active, ask your doctor about ways to lessen the pain.
- Drink fluids. Drinking fluids can help keep you from becoming dehydrated. And by drinking plenty of fluids, you help dilute the Bence Jones protein fragments in your urine, which may help prevent kidney damage.
- Eat a balanced diet. One way to promote your overall health and cope with any form of cancer is to eat well. The amount of M protein in your system isn't affected by how much protein you eat, so there's no need to limit protein intake unless told otherwise by your doctor. Don't take vitamins, herbs or medications without your doctor's approval because they may interfere with your treatment.
- Rajkumar SV, et al. Multiple myeloma and related disorders. In: Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06694-8..50114-7&isbn=978-0-443-06694-8&uniqId=265138448-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06694-8..50114-7--cesec26. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Mercier LR. Bone tumor, primary malignant.In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-056106&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Rajkumar SV. Clinical features, laboratory manifestations, and diagnosis of multiple myeloma. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Kyle RA, et al. Multiple myeloma. In: Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Rajkumar SV. Initial chemotherapy for patients with high risk multiple myeloma.http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Thalidomide. National Cancer Insitute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/druginfo/thalidomide. Accessed July 9, 2011
- Rajkumar SV. Initial chemotherapy for symptomatic multiple myeloma in patients who are not candidates for transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Rajkumar SV. Treatment of the complications of multiple myeloma. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Multiple myeloma: Lifestyle changes to consider during and after treatment. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/MultipleMyeloma/DetailedGuide/multiple-myeloma-after-lifestyle-changes. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Multiple myeloma: How about your emotional health? American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/MultipleMyeloma/DetailedGuide/multiple-myeloma-after-emotional-health. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Complementary and alternative methods for cancer management. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/complementary-and-alternative-methods-for-cancer-management. Accessed July 9, 2011.
- Lu Weidong, et al. The value of acupuncture in cancer care. Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America. 2008;22:631.
- Rajkumar SV (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 25, 2011.