Tests and diagnosisBy Mayo Clinic staff
Your doctor will likely examine your nails first. To test for fungi, your doctor may scrape some debris from under your nail for analysis.
The debris can be examined under a microscope or cultured in a lab to identify what's causing the infection. Other conditions, such as psoriasis, can mimic a fungal infection of the nail. Microorganisms, including yeast and bacteria, also can infect nails. Knowing the cause of your infection helps determine the best course of treatment.
- Onychomycosis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec10/ch125/ch125c.html?qt=nail%20fungus&alt=sh. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- Goldstein AO, et al. Onychomycosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 21, 2011.
- Nail problems. American Podiatric Medical Association. http://www.apma.org/MainMenu/Foot-Health/Foot-Health-Brochures-category/Learn-About-Your-Feet/Nail-Problems.aspx. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- Kelechi TJ, et al. Four Vs for foot care. Vaseline, vegetable shortening, vinegar and Vicks VapoRub. Advance for Nurse Practitioners. 2004;12:67.
- Derby R, et al. Novel treatment of onychomycosis using over-the-counter mentholated ointment: A clinical case series. Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. 2011;24:69.
- Habif TP. Nail diseases. In: Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do? about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed April 21, 2011.
- Hay RJ, et al. Onychomycosis: A proposed revision of the clinical classification. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2011. In press. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleListURL&_method=list&_ArticleListID=1761598027&_sort=r&_st=13&view=c&_acct=C000010878&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=130561&md5=e8df8bcde3b532684246542bf6609d1a&searchtype=a. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- Baran R. The nail in the elderly. Clinics in Dermatology. 2011;29:54.