CausesBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Scientists don't yet fully understand what causes nasal polyps. It's not clear why some people develop chronic inflammation or why ongoing inflammation triggers polyp formation in some people and not in others. The inflammation occurs in the fluid-producing lining (mucous membrane) of your nose and sinuses. There's some evidence that people who develop polyps have a different immune system response and different chemical markers in their mucous membranes than do those who don't develop polyps.
Nasal polyps can form at any age, but they're most common in young and middle-aged adults. Nasal polyps may form anywhere in your sinuses or nasal passages, but they appear most often in an area where sinuses near your eyes, nose and cheekbones all drain through winding passages into your nose (ostiomeatal complex).
- Fried MP. Nasal polyps. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec08/ch091/ch091d.html. Accessed Nov. 12, 2010.
- Levine M. Nasal polyps. American rhinologic society. http://www.american-rhinologic.org/patientinfo.nasalpolyps.phtml. Accessed Nov. 10, 2010.
- Hamilos DL. Clinical manifestations, pathophysiology and diagnosis of chronic rhinosinusitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 10, 2010.
- Scadding GK, et al. BSACI guidelines for the management of rhinosinusitis and nasal polyposis. Clinical and Experimental Allergy. 2007;38:260.
- Antunes MB, et al. The role of local steroid injection for nasal polyposis. Current Asthma and Allergy Reports. 2010;10:175.
- Dykewicz MS, et al. Rhinitis and sinusitis. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2010;125(Suppl 2):S103.
- Wood AJ, et al. Pathogenesis and treatment of chronic rhinosinusitis. Postgraduate Medical Journal. 2010;86:359.
- Hamilos DL. Medical management of chronic rhinosinusitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 10, 2010.
- Tosun F, et al. Impact of endoscopic sinus surgery on sleep quality in patients with chronic nasal obstruction due to nasal polyposis. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 2009;20:446.
- Citardi MJ. An introduction to nasal endoscopy. American Rhinologic Society. http://www.american-rhinologic.org/patientinfo.introendoscopy.phtml. Accessed Nov. 10, 2010.
- Dutton JM. Endoscopic sinus surgery. American Rhinologic Society. http://www.american-rhinologic.org/patientinfo.sinussurgery.phtml. Accessed Nov. 19, 2010.
- Li JT (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 23, 2010.
- Rabago D, et al. Nasal irrigation for chronic sinus symptoms in patients with allergic rhinitis, asthma, and nasal polyposis: A hypothesis generating study. Wisconsin Medical Journal. 2008;107:69.