Risk factorsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Certain factors may increase your risk of neurodermatitis, including:
- Your sex and age. Women are much more likely to develop neurodermatitis than are men. The condition is most common between ages 30 and 50.
- Other skin conditions. People with a personal or family history of eczema, psoriasis or similar skin conditions are more likely to develop neurodermatitis.
- Anxiety disorders. Anxiety and stress can trigger the itch associated with neurodermatitis.
- Lichen simplex chronicus (Neurodermatitis). The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dermatologic_disorders/dermatitis/lichen_simplex_chronicus.html?qt=neurodermatitis&alt=sh. Accessed Aug. 14, 2012.
- Park KK, et al. Pathologic skin picking. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 14, 2012.
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine.7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=505. Accessed Aug. 14, 2012.