When to see a doctorBy Mayo Clinic staff
First, make sure your bedroom is at a comfortable temperature for sleeping and remove extra blankets from your bed at night.
Schedule a doctor's visit if night sweats:
- Occur on a regular basis
- Interrupt your sleep
- Are accompanied by a fever or other symptoms, such as unexplained weight loss
- Smetana GW. Approach to the patient with night sweats. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 26, 2011.
- General information about adult Hodgkin lymphoma. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/adulthodgkins/Patient. Accessed Jan. 26, 2011.
- General information about childhood Hodgkin lymphoma. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/childhodgkins/patient. Accessed Jan. 26, 2011.
- HIV/AIDS Basics. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/qa5.htm. Accessed Jan. 26, 2011.
- General information about chronic myelogenous leukemia. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/CML/patient/. Accessed Jan. 26, 2011.
- Primary myelofibrosis. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/myeloproliferative/Patient/page4. Accessed Jan. 26, 2011.
- What you need to know about non-Hodgkin lymphoma. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/non-hodgkin-lymphoma/page4. Accessed Jan. 26, 2011.
- Schorge JO, et al. Menopausal transition. In: Schorge JO, et al. Williams Gynecology. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3158526. Accessed Jan. 27, 2011.
- Viera AJ, et al. Diagnosing night sweats. American Family Physician. 2003;67:1019.
- Maida V. Nabilone for the treatment of paraneoplastic night sweats: A report of four cases. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2008;11:929.
- Hunter MS, et al. A cognitive model of menopausal hot flushes and night sweats. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2010;69:491.