PreventionBy Mayo Clinic staff
If you have a family history of Noonan syndrome, talk to your doctor about undergoing genetic counseling before you have children. However, because many of the cases of this disease occur spontaneously, there's often no known way to prevent it.
If Noonan syndrome is detected early, it's possible that ongoing and comprehensive care may lessen some of its complications, such as heart disease.
- Roberts AE, et al. Noonan syndrome. The Lancet. 2013;381:333.
- Chacko E, et al. Update on Turner and Noonan syndromes. Endocrinology Metabolism Clinics of North America. 2012;41:713.
- Noonan syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/noonan-syndrome. Accessed June 8, 2013.
- Learning about Noonan syndrome. National Human Genome Research Institute. http://www.genome.gov/pfv.cfm?pageID=25521674. Accessed June 8, 2013.
- Romano AA, et al. Noonan syndrome: Clinical features, diagnosis, and management guidelines. Pediatrics. 2010;126:745.
- Reye's syndrome information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/reyes_syndrome/reyes_syndrome.htm. Accessed June 8, 2013.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 27, 2013.