RisksBy Mayo Clinic staff
The vaginal ring doesn't offer protection from sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
An estimated 5 out of 100 women will get pregnant in the first year of using NuvaRing.
Side effects of NuvaRing may include:
- An increased risk of blood-clotting problems, heart attack, stroke, liver cancer, gallbladder disease and high blood pressure
- Breakthrough bleeding or spotting
- Fluid retention
- Vaginal infection or irritation
- Vaginal secretion
- Weight gain
- Decreased sex drive
- Breast tenderness
Call your health care provider as soon as possible if you have:
- Breast lumps
- Foul vaginal odor or vaginal itching
- Irregular vaginal bleeding during more than one menstrual cycle
- New or worsening headaches
- Signs or symptoms of a blood clot in your leg, such as persistent pain in your calf
- Signs or symptoms of toxic shock syndrome, such as a sudden fever, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting or a rash
- Signs or symptoms of jaundice, such as yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes, especially with fever, fatigue, loss of appetite, dark urine or light-colored bowel movements
- Signs or symptoms of depression, such as trouble sleeping, fatigue or feeling sad
- Two missed periods or other signs of pregnancy
- Combined (estrogen & progestin) contraceptives. In: Zieman M, et al. A Pocket Guide to Managing Contraception. Tiger, Ga.: Bridging the Gap Foundation; 2010:114.
- Zieman M. Overview of contraception. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Birth control methods fact sheet. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/birth-control-methods.cfm. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Implants, injections, rings, and patches: Hormonal birth control options. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/faq/faq159.cfm. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Nanda K. Contraceptive patch and vaginal contraceptive ring. In: Hatcher RA, et al. Contraceptive Technology. 20th ed. New York, N.Y.: Ardent Media; 2011.
- NuvaRing (prescribing information). Roseland, N.J.: Organon USA Inc.; 2008. http://www.nuvaring.com/hcp/global/prescribing-information.asp. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- NuvaRing. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm?fuseaction=Search.DrugDetails. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.