ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
The longer you're exposed to a substance that causes occupational asthma, the worse your symptoms will become — and the longer it will take for them to improve once you end your exposure to the irritant. In some cases, exposure to airborne asthma triggers can cause permanent lung changes and lifetime asthma symptoms.
- Occupational asthma. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/sec05/ch057/ch057h.html?qt=occupational%20asthma&alt=sh. Accessed Jan. 28, 2011.
- Malo J. Diagnosis and clinical assessment of asthma. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 28, 2011.
- Tarlo SM. Occupational exposures and adult asthma. Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2008;28:563.
- Dykewicz MS. Occupational asthma: Current concepts in pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2009;123:519.
- Bardana EJ. Occupational asthma. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2008;121:S408.
- Maestrelli P, et al. Mechanisms of occupational asthma. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2009;123:531.
- Mapp CE, et al. Occupational asthma. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2005;172:280.
- Smith AM, et al. Management of work-related asthma. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2009;123:551.
- Balkissoon R. Asthma overview. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2008;35:41.
- Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. Bethesda, Md.: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/asthma/asthgdln.pdf. Accessed Jan. 28, 2011
- Updated information on leukotriene inhibitors: Montelukast (marketed as Singulair), zafirlukast (marketed as Accolate), and zileuton (marketed as Zyflo and Zyflo CR). U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/DrugSafetyInformationforHeathcareProfessionals/ucm165489.htm. Accessed Feb. 5, 2011.
- Kealoha MK. What's new in alternative therapies for asthma in children? Journal of Community Health Nursing. 2009;26:198.
- Engler RJ, et al. Complementary and alternative medicine for the allergist-immunologist:Where do I start? Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2009;123:309.
- Li XM, et al. Efficacy and mechanisms of action of traditional Chinese medicines for treating asthma and allergy. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2009;123:297.
- Ernst E. Spinal manipulation for asthma: A systematic review of randomised clinical trials. Respiratory Medicine. 2009;103:1791.
- OSHA frequently asked questions. Occupational Safety & Health Administration. http://www.osha.gov/OSHA_FAQs.html. Accessed Feb. 5, 2011.