DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Optic neuritis is an inflammation of the optic nerve, the bundle of nerve fibers that transmit visual information to your brain from your eye. Pain and temporary vision loss are common symptoms of optic neuritis.
Optic neuritis usually develops in association with an autoimmune disorder that may be triggered by an infection. In some people, signs and symptoms of optic neuritis may be an indication of multiple sclerosis, a condition resulting in inflammation and damage to nerves in your brain and spinal cord.
Most people who experience a single episode of optic neuritis eventually recover their vision. Treatment with steroid medications may speed up vision recovery after optic neuritis.
- Balcer LJ. Optic neuritis. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2006;354:1273.
- Clark D, et al. Optic neuritis. Neurologic Clinics. 2010;28:573.
- Dargin JM, et al. The painful eye. Emergency Medical Clinics of North America. 2008;26:199.
- Osborne B. Optic neuritis: Pathophysiology, clinical features, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 28, 2010.
- Graves J, et al. Eye disorders in patients with multiple sclerosis: Natural history and management. Clinical Ophthalmology. 2010;4:1409.
- Riordan-Eva P. Disorders of the eyes & lids. In: McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2011. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2002. Accessed Jan. 1, 2011.
- Ropper AH, et al. Disturbances of vision. In: Ropper AH, et al. Adams and Victor's Principles of Neurology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3631567. Accessed Jan. 1, 2011.
- Germann CA, et al. Ophthalmic diagnoses in the ED: Optic neuritis. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2007;25:834.
- Chan RYC, et al. Ocular toxicity of ethambutol. Hong Kong Medical Journal. 2006;12:56.
- Osborne B. Optic neuritis: Prognosis and treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 28, 2010.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 10, 2011.