SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Orchitis symptoms usually develop suddenly. Orchitis symptoms may include:
- Swelling in one or both testicles
- Pain ranging from mild to severe
- Discomfort when sitting
- Tenderness in one or both testicles, which may last for weeks
- Discharge from penis
The terms "testicle pain" and "groin pain" are sometimes used interchangeably. But groin pain occurs in the fold of skin between the thigh and abdomen — not in the testicle. The causes of groin pain are different from the causes of testicle pain.
When to see a doctor
If you experience pain or swelling in your scrotum, especially if the pain comes on suddenly, see your doctor right away.
A number of conditions can cause testicle pain, and some of the conditions require immediate treatment. One such condition involves twisting of the spermatic cord (testicular torsion), which may cause pain similar to that caused by orchitis. Your doctor can perform tests to determine which condition is causing your pain.
- Orchitis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary_disorders/penile_and_scrotal_disorders/orchitis.html#v1058924. Accessed Sept. 10, 2011.
- Trojian T. et al. Epididymitis and orchitis: An overview. American Family Physician. 2009;79:583. http://www.aafp.org/afp/20090401/583.html. Accessed Sept. 10, 2011.
- Stewart A, et al. Epididymo-orchitis. BMJ. 2011;342:1.
- Corrales-Medina VF, et al. Viral & rickettsial infections. In: McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2011. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=17051. Sept. 10, 2011.
- Epididymitis and orchitis. American Urological Association. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=114. Accessed Sept. 10, 2011.
- Nicks BA, et al. Male genital problems. In: Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6362635. Sept. 10, 2011.