SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
In the early stages of bone loss, you usually have no pain or other symptoms. But once bones have been weakened by osteoporosis, you may have osteoporosis signs and symptoms that include:
- Back pain, caused by a fractured or collapsed vertebra
- Loss of height over time
- A stooped posture
- A bone fracture that occurs much more easily than expected
When to see a doctor
You may want to talk to your doctor about osteoporosis if you've:
- Gone through early menopause
- Experienced a loss of height
- Had a bone break much more easily than expected
- Taken corticosteroids for a lengthy period of time
- Got a family history of osteoporosis
- Osteoporosis: Handout on health. NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone/Osteoporosis/osteoporosis_hoh.asp. Accessed Oct. 25, 2011.
- Rosen C. Osteoporosis. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Oct. 25, 2011.
- De Paula FJ, et al. Osteoporosis. In: Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed Oct. 25, 2011.
- Weppner DM, et al. Osteoporosis. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed Oct. 25, 2011.
- Koch TR, et al. Postoperative metabolic and nutritional complications of bariatric surgery. Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2010;39:109.
- Rosen HN. Bisphosphonates in the management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Finkelstein JS. Treatment of osteoporosis in men. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Rosen CJ. Parathyroid hormone therapy for osteoporosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Rosen HN. Denosumab for osteoporosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Kennel KA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 27, 2011.
- National Osteoporosis Foundation: Community groups. http://www.nof.org/community/communitygroups. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D. Institute of Medicine. http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2010/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-for-Calcium-and-Vitamin-D/Report-Brief.aspx. Accessed Oct. 27, 2011.
- AskMayoExpert. How much vitamin D is adequate to prevent vitamin D deficiency? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2011.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 2, 2011.