Lifestyle and home remediesBy Mayo Clinic staff
Most women who develop OHSS can continue their day-to-day routine. For mild symptoms, follow these recommendations:
- To ease abdominal discomfort, take over-the-counter painkillers such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others).
- Avoid sexual intercourse, as it may be painful and can cause a cyst in your ovary to rupture.
- Maintain a light physical activity level, but avoid strenuous or high-impact activities.
- Weigh yourself on the same scale and measure around your abdomen each day; tell your doctor about any rapid or unusual weight gain, or any increase in abdominal size.
- Call your doctor if your signs and symptoms get worse.
- Van Voorhis BJ. Outcomes from assisted reproductive technology. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2006;107:183.
- Manno M, et al. Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome: The best approaches for prevention and treatment: A mini-review. Current Women's Health Reviews. 2007;3:49.
- Lobo RA. Infertility: Etiology, diagnostic evaluation, management, prognosis. In: Katz VL, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1524/0.html. Accessed Dec. 2, 2010.
- Practice Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. Fertility and Sterility. 2006;86(suppl):S178.
- Insler V, et al. Pathogenesis of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 23, 2010.
- Insler V, et al. Classification and treatment of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 23, 2010.
- Luke B, et al. Factors associated with ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) and its effect on assisted reproductive technology (ART) treatment and outcome. Fertility and Sterility. 2010;94:1399.
- Doody KJ. Treatment of the infertile couple. In: Schorge JO, et al. Williams Gynecology. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=3158038. Accessed Dec. 6, 2010.
- Humaidan P, et al. Preventing ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome: Guidance for the clinician. Fertility and Sterility. 2010;94:389.
- Insler V, et al. Prevention of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 23, 2010.
- Coddington CC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 22, 2010.