Tests and diagnosisBy Mayo Clinic staff
The diagnosis of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome is based on your symptoms rather than on any test. During treatment with fertility drugs, your doctor will regularly evaluate your ovaries with a vaginal ultrasound exam. This procedure uses sound waves to create an image of the inside of your ovaries. The ovarian follicles show up as dark, circular areas. If you have OHSS, the ultrasound may show that your ovaries are swollen, with large fluid-filled cysts where the follicles developed.
- Van Voorhis BJ. Outcomes from assisted reproductive technology. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2006;107:183.
- Manno M, et al. Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome: The best approaches for prevention and treatment: A mini-review. Current Women's Health Reviews. 2007;3:49.
- Lobo RA. Infertility: Etiology, diagnostic evaluation, management, prognosis. In: Katz VL, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1524/0.html. Accessed Dec. 2, 2010.
- Practice Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. Fertility and Sterility. 2006;86(suppl):S178.
- Insler V, et al. Pathogenesis of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 23, 2010.
- Insler V, et al. Classification and treatment of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 23, 2010.
- Luke B, et al. Factors associated with ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) and its effect on assisted reproductive technology (ART) treatment and outcome. Fertility and Sterility. 2010;94:1399.
- Doody KJ. Treatment of the infertile couple. In: Schorge JO, et al. Williams Gynecology. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=3158038. Accessed Dec. 6, 2010.
- Humaidan P, et al. Preventing ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome: Guidance for the clinician. Fertility and Sterility. 2010;94:389.
- Insler V, et al. Prevention of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 23, 2010.
- Coddington CC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 22, 2010.