DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
|Paget's disease of bone|
Paget's disease of bone disrupts your body's normal bone recycling process, in which old bone tissue is gradually replaced with new bone tissue. Over time, the affected bones may become fragile and misshapen. Paget's disease of bone most commonly occurs in the pelvis, skull, spine and legs.
The risk of Paget's disease of bone increases with age. Your risk also increases if any of your family members have the disorder. Complications of Paget's disease of bone can include broken bones, hearing loss and pinched nerves in your spine.
Bisphosphonates — the medications used to strengthen bones weakened by osteoporosis — are the mainstay of treatment. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary.
- Paget's disease of bone. National Institutes of Health Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases: National Resource Center. http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/Pagets/default.asp. Accessed Dec. 11. 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Paget's disease of bone. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00076. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Seton M. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Paget disease of bone. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Seton M. Treatment of Paget disease of bone. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 14, 2013.
- Rosen HN. Bisphosphonates in the management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 15, 2013.