Tests and diagnosisBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
|Paget's disease of bone|
During the physical exam, your doctor will carefully examine any areas of your body that are causing you pain. He or she may also order X-rays and blood tests that can help confirm the diagnosis of Paget's disease of bone.
Bone changes common to Paget's disease can be revealed by:
- X-rays. The first indication of Paget's disease is often one or more abnormalities found on X-rays done for other reasons. X-ray images of your bones can show areas of bone reabsorption, enlargement of the bone and deformities that are characteristic of Paget's disease, such as bowing of your long bones.
- Bone scan. In a bone scan, radioactive material is injected into your body. This material travels to the spots on your bones most affected by Paget's disease, so they light up on the scan images.
People who have Paget's disease of bone usually have elevated levels of alkaline phosphatase in their blood.
- Paget's disease of bone. National Institutes of Health Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases: National Resource Center. http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/Pagets/default.asp. Accessed Dec. 11. 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Paget's disease of bone. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00076. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Seton M. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Paget disease of bone. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Seton M. Treatment of Paget disease of bone. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 14, 2013.
- Rosen HN. Bisphosphonates in the management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 15, 2013.