Painful urination (dysuria)By Mayo Clinic staff
Original Article: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/painful-urination/MY00734
Painful urination (dysuria) is pain or burning with urination, usually felt in the tube that carries urine out of your bladder (urethra) or the area surrounding your genitals (perineum). Anyone may experience bouts of painful urination. Painful urination is the most common symptom of a urinary tract infection, especially in women. In men, urinary tract infections are less common, so painful urination is most commonly caused by urethritis and certain prostate conditions.
Painful urination can be caused by a number of conditions and certain substances, including:
- Bladder stones
- Drugs, such as those used in cancer treatment, that have bladder irritation as a side effect
- Genital herpes
- Ingredients in personal-care products, such as soaps or perfumes
- Kidney infection
- Kidney stones
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Urethritis (infection of the urethra)
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Yeast infection (vaginal)
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment to see your doctor if:
- Your painful urination persists
- You have drainage or discharge from your penis or vaginal area
- You see blood in your urine
- You have a fever
- You have back pain or pain in your side (flank pain)
- You pass a kidney or bladder (urinary tract) stone
If you're pregnant, tell your doctor if you have any pain when you urinate.
- Carter C, et al. Urinary tract disorders. In: Rakel RE. Textbook of Family Medicine. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191205553-4/0/1481/0.html#. Accessed June 27, 2011.
- Agner AC. Urinary symptoms: Dysuria. In: Hillard PJ. The 5-Minute Obstetrics & Gynecology Consult. Philadelphia, Pa.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008:42.
- Dysuria. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed June 27, 2011.