Why it's doneBy Mayo Clinic staff
For most men, erectile dysfunction can be successfully treated with medications or use of a penis pump (vacuum constriction device). You might consider penile implants if you aren't a candidate for other treatments or you can't get an erection sufficient for sexual activity by using other methods.
Penile implants can also be used to treat severe cases of a condition that causes scarring inside the penis, leading to curved, painful erections (Peyronie's disease).
Penile implants aren't for everyone. Your doctor might caution against penile implants if you have:
- ED that's situational, the result of a relationship conflict or potentially reversible
- An infection, such as a pulmonary infection or urinary tract infection
- Dermatitis, wounds or skin lesions on your penis or scrotum
Keep in mind that while penile implants allow men to get an erection, they don't increase sexual desire or sensation. Most penile implants also won't make your penis any larger than it naturally is at the time of surgery. In fact, your erect penis might be slightly shorter than it used to be.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6911-9..C2009-1-60786-3--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6911-9&uniqId=310232887-6. Accessed June 25, 2013.
- Eid JF. What is new for inflatable penile prostheses? Current Opinion in Urology. 2009;19:582.
- Montague DK. Penile prosthesis implantation in the era of medical treatment for erectile dysfunction. The Urologic Clinics of North America. 2011;38:217.
- Lightfoot AJ, et al. Inflatable penile prostheses: An update. Current Opinion in Urology. 2010;20:459.
- CME information: Managing the difficult penile prosthesis patient. The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2013;10:893.
- Carson CC, et al. Long-term infection outcomes after original antibiotic impregnated inflatable penile prosthesis implants: Up to 7.7 years of followup. The Journal of Urology. 2011;185:614.
- Lazarou S. Surgical treatment of erectile dysfunction. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 5, 2013.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 17, 2013.