How you prepareBy Mayo Clinic staff
Before you start peritoneal dialysis, you will receive training on what the procedure involves and how to use the equipment. Plus, you'll need an operation to insert the catheter — the thin, soft plastic tube that carries the dialysis solution in and out of your abdomen. You may receive local or general anesthetics for the surgical insertion procedure. Usually the surgeon places the tube near your bellybutton.
Your doctor will probably recommend waiting at least two weeks before starting treatment so that the catheter site has time to heal.
- Peritoneal dialysis: What you need to know. National Kidney Foundation. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/peritoneal/. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Chaudhary K, et al. Peritoneal dialysis first: Rationale. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2011;6:447.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Post TW, et al. Overview of the management of chronic kidney disease in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Lerma EV, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Nephrology & Hypertension. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=628. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Peritoneal dialysis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary_disorders/renal_replacement_therapy/peritoneal_dialysis.html#v1054643. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- Peritoneal dialysis: What you need to know. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/pdf/peritonealdialysis.pdf. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 20, 2013.