How you prepareBy Mayo Clinic staff
You don't need to prepare for your pillar procedure unless your doctor requests that you start taking antibiotics before your appointment.
- Friedman M, et al. Palatal implants for the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome. Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. 2008;138:209.
- Gillespie MB, et al. Effectiveness of Pillar palatal implants for snoring management. Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. 2009;140:363.
- Saylam G, et al. Do palatal implants really reduce snoring in long-term follow-up? The Laryngoscope. 2009;119:1000.
- Nordgard S, et al. Palatal implants: A new method for the treatment of snoring. Acta Oto-laryngologica. 2004;124:970.
- Obstructive sleep apnea. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/sec05/ch061/ch061b.html. Accessed Jan. 4, 2011.
- Sleep apnea. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/SleepApnea/SleepApnea_WhatIs.html. Accessed Jan. 4, 2011.
- Steward DL, et al. Palate implants for obstructive sleep apnea: Multi-institution, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. 2008;139:506.