Risk factorsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Women are at higher risk for placenta previa if they've had previous surgeries involving the uterus, such as:
- A C-section
- Surgery to remove uterine fibroids
- Dilation and curettage (D&C), though this is a much lower risk
Placenta previa is also more common among women who:
- Have already delivered at least one baby
- Had placenta previa with a previous pregnancy
- Are carrying twins, triplets or other multiples
- Are age 35 or older
- Are Asian
- Kay HH. Placenta previa and abruption. In: Gibbs RS, et al. Danforth's Obstetrics and Gynecology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008. http://www.danforthsobgyn.com. Accessed March 29, 2011.
- Bleeding during pregnancy. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp038.cfm. Accessed March 29, 2011.
- Houry DE, et al. Vaginal bleeding in later pregnancy. In: Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed March 30, 2011.
- Williams DE, et al. Placenta previa. In: Rakel RE. Textbook of Family Medicine. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191205553-4/0/1481/0.html#. Accessed March 30, 2011.
- Ramin KD, et al. Placenta previa. In: Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed March 30, 2011.
- Lockwood CJ, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of placenta previa. http://uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 30, 2011.
- Lockwood CJ, et al. Management of placenta previa. http://uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 30, 2011.