Preparing for your appointmentBy Mayo Clinic staff
You're likely to start by seeing your family doctor or primary care doctor, but you may be referred to a specialist in skin diseases (dermatologist).
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor will ask you a number of questions about your symptoms and your medical history. Be prepared to answer the following:
- When did the rash appear?
- Does it itch or cause pain?
- Have you had a fever associated with the rash?
- Do you have any other symptoms?
- What prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications or dietary supplements do you take? What is the dosage of each?
- Did you recently start a new medication?
- Have you recently started using a new cosmetic or fragrance?
- Have you had a similar rash before? When?
- Has the duration of your sunlight exposure increased recently?
- Have you recently used a tanning bed or lamp?
- Do you use sunscreen?
- Habif T. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..00028-6--s0355&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..00028-6--s0355&uniqId=227127777-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..00028-6--s0355. Accessed Nov. 18, 2010.
- Honigsmann H. Polymorphous light eruption. Photodermatology, photoimmunology & photomedicine 2008;24:155.
- Facts about sunscreens. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/media/background/factsheets/fact_sunscreen.htm. Accessed Nov. 18, 2010.
- Bylaite M, et al. Photodermatoses: Classification, evaluation and management. The British Journal of Dermatology 2009;161(suppl 3):61.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/sec04/ch032/ch032g.html. Accessed Nov. 19, 2010.
- Photosensitivity. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/sec10/ch115/ch115c.html. Accessed Nov. 19, 2010.
- Sun-protective clothing: Wear it well. Federal Trade Commission. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt094.shtm. Accessed Nov. 18, 2010.