Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic staff
The postpartum period often brings physical discomfort as well as emotional ups and downs. If you're diagnosed with postpartum preeclampsia, you might need to stay in the hospital longer than you planned or be readmitted to the hospital. This can cause additional stress. Lean on loved ones and other close contacts for support. Also, work with your health care provider to determine how you can safely manage your condition and your role as mother of a newborn.
- Al-Safi Z, et al. Delayed postpartum preeclampsia and eclampsia. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011;118:1102.
- Delayed postpartum preeclampsia: An experience of 151 cases. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2004;190:1464.
- Yancey LM, et al. Postpartum preeclampsia: Emergency department presentation and management. The Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2011;40:380.
- Andrus SS, et al. Postpartum preeclampsia occurring after resolution of antepartum preeclampsia. The Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2010;38:168.
- Ascarelli MH, et al. Postpartum preeclampsia management with furosemide: A randomized clinical trial. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2005;105:29.
- Sibai BM, et al. Diagnosis and management of atypical preeclampsia-eclampsia. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2009;200:481.e1.
- Berens P. Overview of postpartum care. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 1, 2012.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1528/0.html. Accessed March 2, 2012.
- Your guide to breastfeeding. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/breastfeeding-guide. Accessed Feb. 24, 2012.
- Norwitz ER, et al. Preeclampsia: Management and prognosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Pregnancy: Your guide to lowering high blood pressure. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/issues/preg/preg.htm. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- August P, et al. Clinical features and diagnosis of preeclampsia. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Steegers EA, et al. Pre-eclampsia. The Lancet. 2010;376:631.
- Sibai B. HELLP syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Norwitz ER. Eclampsia. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary. 32nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders; 2011. http://dorlands.com/index.jsp. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Larsen WI, et al. Risk factors for late postpartum preeclampsia. Journal of Reproductive Medicine. 2012;57:35.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 7, 2012.