PreventionBy Mayo Clinic staff
There's no known way to prevent postpartum preeclampsia. The best way to take care of yourself is to know the signs and symptoms of postpartum preeclampsia. Don't be afraid to contact your health care provider if you have questions or concerns about your health as you recover from childbirth.
- Al-Safi Z, et al. Delayed postpartum preeclampsia and eclampsia. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011;118:1102.
- Delayed postpartum preeclampsia: An experience of 151 cases. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2004;190:1464.
- Yancey LM, et al. Postpartum preeclampsia: Emergency department presentation and management. The Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2011;40:380.
- Andrus SS, et al. Postpartum preeclampsia occurring after resolution of antepartum preeclampsia. The Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2010;38:168.
- Ascarelli MH, et al. Postpartum preeclampsia management with furosemide: A randomized clinical trial. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2005;105:29.
- Sibai BM, et al. Diagnosis and management of atypical preeclampsia-eclampsia. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2009;200:481.e1.
- Berens P. Overview of postpartum care. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 1, 2012.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1528/0.html. Accessed March 2, 2012.
- Your guide to breastfeeding. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/breastfeeding-guide. Accessed Feb. 24, 2012.
- Norwitz ER, et al. Preeclampsia: Management and prognosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Pregnancy: Your guide to lowering high blood pressure. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/issues/preg/preg.htm. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- August P, et al. Clinical features and diagnosis of preeclampsia. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Steegers EA, et al. Pre-eclampsia. The Lancet. 2010;376:631.
- Sibai B. HELLP syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Norwitz ER. Eclampsia. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary. 32nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders; 2011. http://dorlands.com/index.jsp. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Larsen WI, et al. Risk factors for late postpartum preeclampsia. Journal of Reproductive Medicine. 2012;57:35.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 7, 2012.