SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
During postpartum thyroiditis, you might experience two phases. The inflammation and release of thyroid hormone might first cause mild signs and symptoms similar to those of an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), including:
- Rapid heartbeat or palpitations
- Unexplained weight loss
- Increased sensitivity to heat
These signs and symptoms typically occur one to four months after delivery and last one to three months.
Later, as thyroid cells become impaired, mild signs and symptoms of underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) might develop, including:
- Lack of energy
- Increased sensitivity to cold
- Dry skin
- Difficulty concentrating
- Aches and pains
These signs and symptoms typically occur four to eight months after delivery and can last from nine to 12 months.
Keep in mind, however, that some women who have postpartum thyroiditis develop symptoms of only hyperthyroidism or only hypothyroidism, but not both.
- Burman KD. Postpartum thyroiditis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 29, 2013.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=46. Accessed May 29, 2013.
- Todd CH. Management of thyroid disorders in primary care: Challenges and controversies. Postgraduate Medical Journal. 2009;85:655.
- De Groot L, et al. Management of thyroid dysfunction during pregnancy and postpartum: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2012;97:2543.
- Stagnaro-Green A, et al. Guidelines of the American Thyroid Association for the diagnosis and management of thyroid disease during pregnancy and postpartum. Thyroid. 2011;21:1081.
- Stagnaro-Green A. Approach to the patient with postpartum thyroiditis. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2012;97:334.
- Hale TW. Medications and Mother's Milk 2012: A Manual of Lactational Pharmacology. 15th ed. Amarillo, Texas: Hale Publishing L.P.; 2012:673.
- Halter JB, et al. Hazzard's Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology. 6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=5133014&searchStr=hyperthyroidism. Accessed June 4, 2013.
- Postpartum thyroiditis. The American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/postpartum-thyroiditis/. Accessed June 4, 2013.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 5, 2013.