Tests and diagnosisBy Mayo Clinic staff
If you have signs and symptoms of postpartum thyroiditis, your doctor will check to see how your thyroid is functioning. He or she will use blood tests that measure the level of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and the level of the thyroid hormone thyroxine. If you have risk factors for postpartum thyroiditis, your doctor will likely test the functioning of your thyroid three and six months after delivery.
If your thyroid test results are abnormal, your doctor will likely recommend further testing within one to two weeks.
In addition, if you develop postpartum thyroiditis, your doctor will likely check your thyroid annually afterward to see if you develop hypothyroidism.
- Burman KD. Postpartum thyroiditis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 29, 2013.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=46. Accessed May 29, 2013.
- Todd CH. Management of thyroid disorders in primary care: Challenges and controversies. Postgraduate Medical Journal. 2009;85:655.
- De Groot L, et al. Management of thyroid dysfunction during pregnancy and postpartum: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2012;97:2543.
- Stagnaro-Green A, et al. Guidelines of the American Thyroid Association for the diagnosis and management of thyroid disease during pregnancy and postpartum. Thyroid. 2011;21:1081.
- Stagnaro-Green A. Approach to the patient with postpartum thyroiditis. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2012;97:334.
- Hale TW. Medications and Mother's Milk 2012: A Manual of Lactational Pharmacology. 15th ed. Amarillo, Texas: Hale Publishing L.P.; 2012:673.
- Halter JB, et al. Hazzard's Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology. 6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=5133014&searchStr=hyperthyroidism. Accessed June 4, 2013.
- Postpartum thyroiditis. The American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/postpartum-thyroiditis/. Accessed June 4, 2013.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 5, 2013.