ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
While premature ejaculation doesn't increase your risk of serious health problems, it can cause problems in your personal life, including:
- Relationship strains. A common complication of premature ejaculation is relationship stress. If premature ejaculation is straining your relationship, ask your doctor about including couples therapy in your treatment program.
- Fertility problems. Premature ejaculation can occasionally make fertilization difficult or impossible for couples who are trying to become pregnant. If premature ejaculation isn't effectively treated, you and your partner may need to consider infertility treatment.
- Mehta A, et al. Ejaculation disorders. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/120705265-3/804926975/1701/189.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04134-8..50008-2--subchapter5_3989. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- Diaz VA, et al. Male sexual dysfunction. Primary Care Clinics in Office Practice. 2010;37:473.
- Lue TF, et al. Evaluation and nonsurgical management of erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. In: Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104&isbn=978-0-7216-0798-6&sid=1082841620&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104&uniqId=226471491-7#4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- Althof SE, et al. International Society for Sexual Medicine's Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Premature Ejaculation. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2010;7:2947.
- Brotto LA, et al. Yoga and sexual functioning: A review. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy. 2009;35:378.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 16, 2010.