SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
The signs and symptoms of premature ovarian failure are similar to those experienced by a woman going through menopause and are typical of estrogen deficiency. They include:
- Irregular or skipped periods (amenorrhea), which may be present for years or may develop after a pregnancy or after stopping birth control pills
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Vaginal dryness
- Irritability or difficulty concentrating
- Decreased sexual desire
When to see a doctor
If you notice that you've skipped your period for three months or more, see your doctor to help determine what may be the cause. You may miss your period for a number of reasons — including pregnancy, stress, or a change in diet or exercise habits — but it's best to get evaluated whenever your menstrual cycle changes.
Even if you don't mind not having your period, it's still wise to check in with your doctor and try to find out what's causing the problem. If your estrogen levels are low, bone loss can occur.
- Rebar RW. Premature ovarian failure. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2009;113:1355.
- Do I have premature ovarian failure (POF)? National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/pubs/pof/index.cfm. Accessed Nov. 16, 2010.
- Lobo RA. Menopause: Endocrinology, consequences of estrogen deficiency, effects of hormone replacement therapy, treatment regimens. In: Katz VL, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1524/0.html. Accessed Nov. 16, 2010.
- Welt CK. Pathogenesis and causes of spontaneous premature ovarian failure. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 15, 2010.
- Bulun SE, et al. The physiology and pathology of the female reproductive axis. In: Kronenberg HM, et al. Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191205553-3/0/1555/0.html#. Accessed Nov. 16, 2010.
- Kalu E, et al. Spontaneous premature ovarian failure: Management challenges. Gynecological Endocrinology. 2008;24:273.
- Nelson LM, et al. Evaluation of spontaneous premature ovarian failure. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 15, 2010.
- Nelson LM, et al. Management of spontaneous premature ovarian failure. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 15, 2010.
- Coddington CC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 29, 2010.
- Dietary Reference Intakes for calcium and vitamin D. Institute of Medicine. http://www.iom.edu/vitamind. Accessed Dec. 10, 2010.