DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) has a wide variety of symptoms, including mood swings, tender breasts, food cravings, fatigue, irritability and depression. An estimated 3 of every 4 menstruating women experience some form of premenstrual syndrome. These problems tend to peak during your late 20s and early 30s. Symptoms tend to recur in a predictable pattern. Yet the physical and emotional changes you experience with premenstrual syndrome may be particularly intense in some months and only slightly noticeable in others.
Still, you don't have to let these problems control your life. Treatments and lifestyle adjustments can help you reduce or manage the signs and symptoms of premenstrual syndrome.
- Yonkers KA, et al. Premenstrual syndrome. The Lancet. 2008;371:1200.
- Colin CM, et al. Complications of menstruation; abnormal uterine bleeding. In: DeCherney AH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology. 10th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=2388399. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Casper RF, et al. Treatment of premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 23, 2011.
- Frequently asked questions. Gynecologic problems FAQ057. Premenstrual syndrome. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/faq/faq057.cfm. Accessed Nov. 23, 2011.
- Dog TL. Premenstrual syndrome. In: Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed Nov. 23, 2011.
- Borenstein JE, et al. Using the daily record of severity of problems as a screening instrument for premenstrual syndrome. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2007;109:1068.
- Johnson SR. Premenstrual syndrome, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, and beyond: A clinical primer for practitioners. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2004;104:845.
- Jing Z, et al. Chinese herbal medicine for premenstrual syndrome (review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2009:CD006414. http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews. Accessed Dec. 6, 2011.
- Panay N. Management of premenstrual syndrome: Evidence-based guidelines. Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine. 2011;21:221.
- Shulman LP. Gynecological management of premenstrual symptoms. Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2010;14:367.