Tests and diagnosisBy Mayo Clinic staff
There are no unique physical findings or laboratory tests to positively diagnose premenstrual syndrome. Your doctor may attribute a particular symptom to PMS if it's part of your predictable premenstrual pattern. To help establish a premenstrual pattern, your doctor may have you:
- Keep a diary. Record your signs and symptoms on a calendar or in a diary for at least two menstrual cycles. Note the day that you first notice PMS symptoms, as well as the day they disappear. Also be sure to mark the day your period starts and ends.
- Fill out a questionnaire. On the first day of your period, you fill out a questionnaire. The questions pertain to any PMS symptoms you experienced during the prior two weeks. This tool helps your doctor know whether you might benefit from further evaluation.
- Yonkers KA, et al. Premenstrual syndrome. The Lancet. 2008;371:1200.
- Colin CM, et al. Complications of menstruation; abnormal uterine bleeding. In: DeCherney AH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology. 10th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=2388399. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Casper RF, et al. Treatment of premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 23, 2011.
- Frequently asked questions. Gynecologic problems FAQ057. Premenstrual syndrome. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/faq/faq057.cfm. Accessed Nov. 23, 2011.
- Dog TL. Premenstrual syndrome. In: Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed Nov. 23, 2011.
- Borenstein JE, et al. Using the daily record of severity of problems as a screening instrument for premenstrual syndrome. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2007;109:1068.
- Johnson SR. Premenstrual syndrome, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, and beyond: A clinical primer for practitioners. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2004;104:845.
- Jing Z, et al. Chinese herbal medicine for premenstrual syndrome (review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2009:CD006414. http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews. Accessed Dec. 6, 2011.
- Panay N. Management of premenstrual syndrome: Evidence-based guidelines. Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine. 2011;21:221.
- Shulman LP. Gynecological management of premenstrual symptoms. Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2010;14:367.