CausesBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Common conditions causing the overproduction of aldosterone include:
- A benign growth (aldosteronoma or adrenal adenoma) in an adrenal gland — a condition also known as Conn's syndrome
- Overactivity of both adrenal glands (bilateral adrenal hyperplasia)
In rare cases, primary aldosteronism may be caused by:
- Cancerous (malignant) growths in the outer layer (cortex) of the adrenal gland
- A rare type of primary aldosteronism called glucocorticoid-remediable aldosteronism (GRA) that runs in families and causes high blood pressure in children and young adults
- Funder JW, et al. Case detection, diagnosis and treatment of patients with primary aldosteronism: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2008;93:3266.
- Young WF, et al. Clinical features of primary aldosteronism. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- Primary aldosteronism. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec12/ch153/ch153f.html. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- Sechi LA, et al. Cardiovascular and renal damage in primary aldosteronism: Outcomes after treatment. American Journal of Hypertension. In press. Acessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- Giacchetti G, et al. Management of primary aldosteronism: Its complications and outcomes after treatment. Current Vascular Pharmacology. 2009;7:244.
- Young WF, et al. Treatment of primary aldosteronism. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- Aldosterone and renin. Lab Tests Online. http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/aldosterone/test.html. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- High blood pressure. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Hbp/HBP_All.html. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- High blood pressure, factors that contribute to. American Heart Association. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4650. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- Young WF, et al. Approach to the patient with hypertension and hypokalemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- Rose BD. Clinical manifestations and treatment of hypokalemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- The seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Bethesda, Md.: National Heart, Lung, Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/hypertension/jnc7full.htm. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 27, 2010.