Lifestyle and home remediesBy Mayo Clinic staff
For temporary relief of mild pain and inflammation, try the following self-care measures:
- Ask your doctor before using over-the-counter (OTC) diarrhea medicines. Don't take OTC anti-diarrhea drugs, such as loperamide (Imodium A-D), without your doctor's OK.
- Avoid food just before bedtime. Eating just before going to bed may stimulate your digestive system and cause you to have bowel movements and discomfort at night.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers. Acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), aspirin or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) may relieve your discomfort. However, if you have colitis, pain relievers such as aspirin or ibuprofen could make your condition worse. Talk to your doctor before taking them.
- Use a sitz bath with warm water. A sitz bath fits over the toilet. You can get one at a medical supply store or some pharmacies. This may provide some comfort if you experience anal inflammation.
- Proctitis. National Institute for Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/proctitis/index.htm. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Hoentjen F, et al. Infectious proctitis: When to suspect it is not inflammatory bowel disease. Digestive Diseases and Sciences. 2012; 57:269.
- Nostrant TT, et al. Clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment of radiation proctitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Burger D, et al. Conventional medical management of inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterology. 2011;140:1827.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. May 9, 2012.