How you prepareBy Mayo Clinic staff
To prepare you for your prostate biopsy, your urologist may have you:
- Stop taking medication that can increase the risk of bleeding, such as warfarin (Coumadin), aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), and certain herbal supplements for several days before the procedure
- Do a cleansing enema at home before your biopsy appointment
- Take antibiotics 30 to 60 minutes before your prostate biopsy to help prevent infection
How is prostate cancer diagnosed? American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ProstateCancer/DetailedGuide/prostate-cancer-diagnosis. Accessed Feb. 21, 2013.
- Wein AJ, ed., et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6911-9..C2009-1-60786-3--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6911-9&uniqId=310232887-6. Accessed Feb. 21, 2013.
- How to read your pathology report. MyBiopsy.org. http://www.cap.org/apps/docs/reference/myBiopsy/pathology_report.html. Accessed Feb. 21, 2013.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. Feb. 24, 2013.