ResultsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Your doctor may recommend periodic imaging tests during and after your proton therapy to determine whether your cancer is responding to the treatments. How often you'll undergo scans depends on your situation.
- Brada M, et al. Current clinical evidence for proton therapy. Cancer Journal. 2009;15:319.
- Olsen DR, et al. Proton therapy: A systematic review of clinical effectiveness. Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2007;83:123.
- Flanz J, et al. Technology for proton therapy. Cancer Journal. 2009;15:292.
- Devicienti S, et al. Patient positioning in the proton radiotherapy era. Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research. 2010;29:47.
- Proton therapy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=protonthera. Accessed Nov. 15, 2010.
- Found 105 studies with search of: proton therapy AND cancer. ClinicalTrials.gov. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=proton+therapy+AND+cancer. Accessed Nov. 23, 2010.
- Levin WP, et al. Proton beam therapy. British Journal of Cancer. 2005;93:849.
- Greco C, et al. Current status of radiotherapy with proton and light ion beams. Cancer. 2007;109:1227.
- Schulz-Ertner D. The clinical experience with particle therapy in adults. Cancer Journal. 2009;15:306.
- Goitein M, et al. Should randomized clinical trials be required for proton radiotherapy? Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2008;26:175.
- Suit H, et al. Should positive phase III clinical trial data be required before proton beam therapy is more widely adopted? No. Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2008;86:148.