- Slide show: Types of psoriasis
Slide show: Types of psoriasisBy Mayo Clinic staff
Many forms of psoriasis
Psoriasis occurs when the life cycle of skin cells speeds up, resulting in a rapid buildup of rough, dead skin cells. These skin cells accumulate, forming thick silvery scales and itchy, dry, red patches that are sometimes painful. In some cases, pus-filled blisters appear.
Psoriasis patches can range from a few spots of dandruff-like scaling to major eruptions that cover large areas.
Though psoriasis signs and symptoms vary from person to person, psoriasis types are typically identified by their hallmark appearance. Here's a look at psoriasis images, showing classic signs and symptoms.Next slide
- Questions and answers about psoriasis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/psoriasis/psoriasis.htm. Accessed Dec. 22, 2011.
- About psoriasis. National Psoriasis Foundation. http://www.psoriasis.org/about-psoriasis. Accessed Dec. 22, 2011.
- Psoriasis treatment. Psoriasis Net. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/psoriasisnet/treatment.html. Accessed Dec. 22, 2011.
- Psoriasis. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/skin-conditions/dermatology-a-to-z/psoriasis. Accessed Dec. 22, 2011.