DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Psoriatic arthritis is a form of arthritis that affects some people who have psoriasis — a condition that features red patches of skin topped with silvery scales. Most people develop psoriasis first and are later diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, but the joint problems can sometimes begin before skin lesions appear.
Joint pain, stiffness and swelling are the main symptoms of psoriatic arthritis. They can affect any part of your body, including your fingertips and spine, and can range from relatively mild to severe. In both psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, disease flares may alternate with periods of remission.
No cure for psoriatic arthritis exists, so the focus is on controlling symptoms and preventing damage to your joints. Without treatment, psoriatic arthritis may be disabling.
- Fitzgerald O. Psoriatic arthritis. In: Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders Co.; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/223128990-5/1070709009/1807/528.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3285-4..10072-5_2607. Accessed Oct. 19, 2010.
- Gladman DD. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 19, 2010.
- Psoriatic arthritis. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/clinical/patients/diseases_and_conditions/psoriaticarthritis.asp. Accessed Oct. 19, 2010.
- Kleinert S, et al. Psoriatic arthritis: Clinical spectrum and diagnostic procedures. Clinics in Dermatology. 2007;25:519.
- Gladman DD. Pathogenesis of psoriatic arthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 19, 2010.
- Mercier LR. Arthritis, psoriatic. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?sid=1070709009&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-07158-1..00003-1--s2020&isbn=978-0-323-07158-1&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-07158-1..00003-1--s2020&uniqId=223128990-6. Accessed Oct. 19, 2010.
- Gladman DD. Treatment of psoriatic arthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 19, 2010.
- Chang-Miller A (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. Nov. 2, 2010.