Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic staff
Psoriatic arthritis can be particularly discouraging because the emotional pain that psoriasis can cause is compounded by joint pain and, in some cases, disability.
The support of friends and family can make a tremendous difference when you're facing the physical and psychological challenges of psoriatic arthritis. Just having someone to talk to can give you strength. For some people, support groups can offer the same benefits — this may be especially important if you're worried about burdening your loved ones.
A counselor or therapist can help you devise coping strategies to reduce your stress levels. The chemicals your body releases when you're under stress can suppress your immune system and aggravate both psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.
- Fitzgerald O. Psoriatic arthritis. In: Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders Co.; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/223128990-5/1070709009/1807/528.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3285-4..10072-5_2607. Accessed Oct. 19, 2010.
- Gladman DD. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 19, 2010.
- Psoriatic arthritis. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/clinical/patients/diseases_and_conditions/psoriaticarthritis.asp. Accessed Oct. 19, 2010.
- Kleinert S, et al. Psoriatic arthritis: Clinical spectrum and diagnostic procedures. Clinics in Dermatology. 2007;25:519.
- Gladman DD. Pathogenesis of psoriatic arthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 19, 2010.
- Mercier LR. Arthritis, psoriatic. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?sid=1070709009&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-07158-1..00003-1--s2020&isbn=978-0-323-07158-1&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-07158-1..00003-1--s2020&uniqId=223128990-6. Accessed Oct. 19, 2010.
- Gladman DD. Treatment of psoriatic arthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 19, 2010.
- Chang-Miller A (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. Nov. 2, 2010.