SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
If you have pubic lice (crabs), you may experience intense itching in your genital region. Pubic lice don't infest the scalp, but they can spread to other areas with coarse body hair, including the:
- Beard or mustache
- Eyelashes or eyebrows, more commonly in children
When to see a doctor
Seek medical advice about pubic lice treatment if:
- Over-the-counter products don't kill the lice
- You're pregnant
- You have any infected skin abrasions from scratching
- Parasites: Lice. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/index.html. Accessed Aug. 24, 2012.
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology. 6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=5196533. Accessed Aug. 24, 2012.
- Mai DL, et al. Infestation of the eyelashes with Phthirus pubis. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2010;4:182.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Aug. 24, 2012.