DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
Raynaud's (ray-NOHZ) disease is a condition that causes some areas of your body — such as your fingers, toes, the tip of your nose and your ears — to feel numb and cool in response to cold temperatures or stress. In Raynaud's disease, smaller arteries that supply blood to your skin narrow, limiting blood circulation to affected areas.
Women are more likely to have Raynaud's disease. It's also more common in people who live in colder climates.
Treatment of Raynaud's disease depends on its severity and whether you have any other health conditions. For most people, Raynaud's disease is more a nuisance than a disability.
- Questions and answers about Raynaud's phenomenon. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Raynauds_Phenomenon/default.asp. Accessed Aug. 2, 2011.
- Raynaud's disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/raynaud/ray_all.html. Accessed Aug. 2, 2011.
- Wigley FM. Nonpharmacologic therapy for the Raynaud phenomenon. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 2, 2011.
- Wigley FM. Pharmacologic and surgical treatment of the Raynaud phenomenon. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 2, 2011.
- Sayeed SM, et al. Raynaud's phenomenon. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..C2009-0-38601-8&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&uniqId=270492172-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..C2009-0-38601-8--TOP. Accessed Aug. 2, 2011.
- Natural product effectiveness checker results: Raynaud's syndrome. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Aug. 9, 2011.