CausesBy Mayo Clinic staff
Reactive arthritis develops in reaction to an infection in another part of your body, often in your intestines, genitals or urinary tract. You may not be aware of the triggering infection because it may cause only mild symptoms or none at all.
Numerous bacteria can cause reactive arthritis. The most common ones include:
Reactive arthritis isn't contagious. However, the bacteria that cause it can be transmitted sexually or in contaminated food. But only a few of the people who are exposed to these bacteria develop reactive arthritis.
- Lam GK, et al. Reactive arthritis. In: Imboden JB, et al. Current Rheumatology Diagnosis & Treatment. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2725203. Accessed Jan. 31, 2011.
- Yu DT. Reactive arthritis (formerly Reiter syndrome). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 27, 2011.
- Questions and answers about reactive arthritis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Reactive_Arthritis/default.asp. Accessed Jan. 27, 2011.
- Yu DT, et al. Undifferentiated spondyloarthritis and reactive arthritis. In: Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed Jan. 31, 2011.
- Septic arthritis. American Association for Clinical Chemistry. http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/conditions/septic.html. Accessed Jan. 27, 2011.
- Questions and answers about gout. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Gout/default.asp. Accessed Jan. 27, 2011.
- Carter JD, et al. Reactive arthritis: Clinical aspects and medical management. Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America. 2009;35:21.
- Wechalekar MD, et al. Prolonged remission of chronic reactive arthritis treated with three infusions of infliximab. Journal of Clinical Rheumatology. 2010;16:79.