Lifestyle and home remediesBy Mayo Clinic staff
Your doctor may recommend bed rest for your child and may ask you to restrict his or her activities until inflammation, pain and other symptoms have improved. If inflammation is present in heart tissues, your doctor may recommend strict bed rest for a few weeks to a few months, depending on the degree of inflammation.
- Fort GG. Rheumatic fever. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00027-5--sc0105&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00027-5--sc0105&uniqId=224600605-3. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.
- Rheumatic fever. In: Marx JA, et al., eds. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Mosby; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?sid=1075999583&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..00081-5--s0050&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..00081-5--s0050&uniqId=224600605-4. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.
- Rheumatic fever. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec19/ch281/ch281a.html. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.
- Choby B. Diagnosis and treatment of streptococcal pharyngitis. American Family Physician. 2009;79:383.
- Gibofsky A, et al. Epidemiology and pathogenesis of acute rheumatic fever. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.
- Gibofsky A, et al. Treatment and prevention of rheumatic fever. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.
- Report for the second meeting of World Health Organization's subcommittee of the Expert Committee of the Selection and Use of Essential Medicines: Antibiotic use for the prevention and treatment of rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease in children. Geneva, Switzerland: Royal Hobart Hospital and University of Tasmania. http://www.who.int/selection_medicines/committees/subcommittee/2/RheumaticFever_review.pdf. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010. Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 3, 2010.