Why it's doneBy Mayo Clinic staff
- Straighten the bridge of your nose
- Reshape the tip of your nose
- Reduce or add to the overall size of your nose
- Change the angle between your nose and upper lip
Rhinoplasty can also repair defects following an injury, correct a birth defect or improve some breathing difficulties.
- Tardy ME Jr, et al. Rhinoplasty. In: Flint PW, et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05283-2..00037-9&isbn=978-0-323-05283-2&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05283-2..00037-9&uniqId=234039683-2#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05283-2..00037-9. Accessed Jan. 21, 2011.
- Ramirez AL, et al. Rhinoplasty. In: Lalwani AK, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=2833146. Accessed Jan. 20, 2011.
- Becker DG, et al. Reducing complications in rhinoplasty. Otolaryngology Clinics of North America. 2006;39:475i.
- Nose surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Patients_and_Consumers/Procedures/Cosmetic_Procedures/Nose_Surgery_.html. Accessed Jan. 2, 2011.
- Anesthesia and you. American Society of Anesthesiologists. http://www.lifelinetomodernmedicine.com/Who-Is-An-Anesthesiologist/Anesthesia-for-Same-Day-or-Outpatient-Surgery.aspx. Accessed Jan. 21, 2011.
- Harsha BC. Complications of rhinoplasty. Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America. 2009;21:81
- Kim DW, et al. Functional rhinoplasty. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America. 2009;17:115.