SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
The signs and symptoms of ringworm of the scalp include:
- One or more round patches of scaly skin where the hair has broken off at or just above the scalp
- Patches that slowly expand or enlarge
- Scaly, gray or reddened areas
- Patches that have small black dots where the hair has broken off at the scalp
- Brittle or fragile hair that easily pulls out
- Tender or painful areas on the scalp
When to see a doctor
Several conditions affecting the scalp may have a similar appearance. See your child's doctor if your child has any hair loss, scaling or itchiness of the scalp, or other unusual appearance of the scalp. It's important to get an accurate diagnosis and prompt, appropriate treatment.
- Goldstein AO, et al. Dermatophyte (tinea) infections. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 17, 2010.
- Andrews MD, et al. Common tinea infections in children. American Family Physician. 2008;77:1415.
- Levy M, et al. Dermatophytes and other superficial fungi. In: Long S, et al., eds. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/226852420-3/1084137919/1679/259.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06687-0..50258-7--cesec1_4588. Accessed Nov. 16, 2010.
- Ringworm and animals. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/diseases/ringworm.htm. Accessed Nov. 16, 2010.
- Dermatophytes (ringworm). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/dfbmd/diseases/dermatophytes/. Accessed Nov. 16, 2010.
- Andrews RM, et al. Skin disorders, including pyoderma, scabies, and tinea infections. Pediatric Clinics of North America. 2009;56:1421.
- Griseofulvin. National Center for Biotechnology Information. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000641. Accessed Nov. 18, 2010.
- Terbinafine. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/lexicomp/terbinafine.html. Accessed Nov. 18, 2010.