Tests and diagnosisBy Mayo Clinic staff
Tests for ringworm of the scalp typically include a visual exam. Sometimes, your doctor may take a sample of hair or skin.
- Visual exam. Your doctor can often make a diagnosis of ringworm or another condition affecting the scalp based on a visual examination of the scalp and your answers to questions.
- Skin or hair sample. Your doctor may take a sample — hairs, a swab from the scalp or hair, or a scraping of scaly skin — for examination under a microscope, which can reveal the presence of fungi. If the test is negative but your doctor still suspects ringworm, a sample may be sent to a lab for further testing.
Your doctor may also order additional tests if your child's condition doesn't respond to treatment.
- Goldstein AO, et al. Dermatophyte (tinea) infections. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 17, 2010.
- Andrews MD, et al. Common tinea infections in children. American Family Physician. 2008;77:1415.
- Levy M, et al. Dermatophytes and other superficial fungi. In: Long S, et al., eds. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/226852420-3/1084137919/1679/259.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06687-0..50258-7--cesec1_4588. Accessed Nov. 16, 2010.
- Ringworm and animals. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/diseases/ringworm.htm. Accessed Nov. 16, 2010.
- Dermatophytes (ringworm). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/dfbmd/diseases/dermatophytes/. Accessed Nov. 16, 2010.
- Andrews RM, et al. Skin disorders, including pyoderma, scabies, and tinea infections. Pediatric Clinics of North America. 2009;56:1421.
- Griseofulvin. National Center for Biotechnology Information. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000641. Accessed Nov. 18, 2010.
- Terbinafine. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/lexicomp/terbinafine.html. Accessed Nov. 18, 2010.