ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Vigorous scratching can break your skin and allow a secondary bacterial infection, such as impetigo, to occur. Impetigo is a superficial infection of the skin that's caused most often by staph (staphylococci) bacteria or occasionally by strep (streptococci) bacteria.
A more severe form of scabies, called crusted scabies, may affect certain high-risk groups, including:
- People with chronic health conditions that weaken the immune system, such as HIV or chronic leukemia
- People who are very ill, such as people in hospitals or nursing facilities
- Older people in nursing homes
Crusted scabies tends to be crusty and scaly, and cover large areas of the body. It's very contagious and can be hard to treat.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..00024-9&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=332033261-2#4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..00024-9--st0040. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Scabies. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/. Accessed April 25, 2012.
- Scabies. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/skin-conditions/dermatology-a-to-z/scabies. Accessed April 25, 2012.
- Andrews RM, et al. Skin disorders, including pyoderma, scabies, and tinea infections. Pediatric Clinics of North America. 2009;56:1421.
- Medications. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/health_professionals/meds.html. Accessed April 25, 2012.
- Stromectol (prescribing information). Whitehouse Station, N.J.; Merck & Co., Inc. 2010. http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/s/stromectol/stromectol_pi.pdf. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Permethrin cream (prescribing information). Bronx, N.Y.; Perrigo. 2010. http://www.perrigo.com/product/catalog/product_detail.aspx?id=36&prodid=189&seachproducts=P. Accessed May 7, 2012.
- Lindane lotion (prescribing information). Morton Grove, Ill.; Morton Grove Pharmaceuticals, Inc. 2007. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/UCM133687.pdf?utm_campaign=Google2&utm_source=fdaSearch&utm_medium=website&utm_term=Lindane prescribing information&utm_content=1. Accessed May 7, 2012.
- Eurax (prescribing information). Jacksonville, Fla. Ranbaxy. 2009. http://www.euraxrx.com/fullpreinf1024.asp. Accessed May 7, 2012.