DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
Schizoaffective disorder is a condition in which a person experiences a combination of schizophrenia symptoms — such as hallucinations or delusions — and of mood disorder symptoms, such as mania or depression.
Schizoaffective disorder is not as well understood, or defined, as are other mental health conditions. This is largely because schizoaffective disorder is a mix of multiple mental health conditions that may run a unique course in each affected person.
Untreated, people with schizoaffective disorder may lead lonely lives and have trouble holding down a job or attending school. Or, they may rely heavily on family or live in psychiatric group homes. Treatment can help manage symptoms and improve the quality of life for people with schizoaffective disorder.
- Schizoaffective disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Oct. 14, 2010.
- Schizophrenia. In: Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Pub; 2008. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Oct. 14, 2010.
- Factsheet: Schizoaffective disorder. Mental Health America. http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/index.cfm?objectid=C7DF97FD-1372-4D20-C8F0FBF1C871E040. Accessed Oct. 14, 2010.
- Schizoaffective disorder. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Content/ContentGroups/Helpline1/Schizoaffective_Disorder.htm. Accessed Oct. 14, 2010.
- Gejman PV, et al. The role of genetics in the etiology of schizophrenia. Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2010;33:35.
- Jibson MD. Schizophrenia: Clinical presentation, epidemiology, and pathophysiology. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 14, 2010.
- Jibson MD. Schizophrenia: Diagnostic evaluation and treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 14, 2010.
- Schizoaffective disorder. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec15/ch202/ch202d.html. Accessed Oct. 14, 2010.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 30, 2010.
- Schizoaffective. Micromedex Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedex.com. Accessed Dec. 2, 2010.