Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic staff
Coping with an illness as serious as schizophrenia can be challenging, both for the person with the condition and for friends and family. Here are some ways to cope with schizophrenia:
- Learn about schizophrenia. Education about the condition can help motivate the person with the disease to stick to the treatment plan. Education can help friends and family understand the condition and be more compassionate with the person who has it.
- Join a support group. Support groups for people with schizophrenia can help them reach out to others facing similar challenges. Support groups may also help family and friends cope.
- Stay focused on goals. Recovery from schizophrenia is an ongoing process. Keeping recovery goals in mind can help the person with schizophrenia stay motivated. Help your loved one remember to take responsibility for managing the illness and working toward goals.
- Learn relaxation and stress management. The person with the disease and loved ones may benefit from stress-reduction techniques such as meditation, yoga or tai chi.
- Schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Nov. 26, 2011.
- Minzenberg MJ, et al. Schizophrenia. In: Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2008. http://www.psychiatryonline.com/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed Nov. 26, 2011.
- Schizophrenia. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/schizophrenia/complete-index.shtml. Accessed Nov. 26, 2011.
- Fischer BA, et al. Schizophrenia: Clinical manifestations, course, assessment, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 26, 2011.
- Jibson MD. Schizophrenia: Epidemiology and pathogenesis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 26, 2011.
- Stroup TS, et al. Pharmacotherapy for schizophrenia: Acute and maintenance phase treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 26, 2011.
- Aripiprazole. U.S. National Library of Medicine. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000221/. Accessed Nov. 26, 2011.
- Risperidone. U.S. National Library of Medicine. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000944/. Accessed Nov. 26, 2011.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 30, 2011.
- Wall CA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 20, 2011.